In order to meet our criteria, your original paper DBS certificate issued by Disclosure & Barring Services must be:
- an Enhanced DBS certificate, meaning 5 fields are all requested.
- issued within the last 3 years. If you are on the DBS Update Service, we still need to see the original certificate. If you’re on the Update Service, please tick the consent box when you upload your DBS to Lantum so we can check your certificate number.
- from England, not Scotland or Ireland. This is due to other countries, including Scotland and Ireland, keeping their own Children's and Vulnerable Adults' Barred Lists. You will be working in England, so it must be relevant to England.
- clear with readable image(s), showing all 4 corners of the page. We cannot accept certificates where part of the page has been cropped.
Please note, if your DBS is more than 3 years old or not fully enhanced, you can apply for a new one through Lantum using this guide.
If you have convictions or cautions on your DBS certificate, this will be passed onto our Head of Supply to review. We will need to see two clinical references if your DBS states a caution or conviction before we can accept this.
Please see an example below:
DBS certificates stating Covid/Covid-19:
All DBS certificates that state 'Covid/Covid-19' in the 'position applied for' section are no longer acceptable, regardless of when they were issued, and expire on 31 December 2022. We no longer offer Covid-19 sessions and the Coronavirus Act 2020 provisions are no longer enforced. This means you will have to apply for a new enhanced DBS or upload one that does not state Covid/Covid-19.
DBS Update Service
When you receive a new DBS certificate, you can apply to be on the DBS Update Service within 30 days of receiving it. When you are on the Update Service, you no longer need to apply for a new DBS every 3 years, as long as you keep your original certificate.
When you have registered, this means you can:
- take your certificate from one job to the next
- give employers permission to check your certificate online, and see who has checked it
- add or remove a certificate
We recommend you use a reliable payment method, as the Update Service has a yearly fee. If you do not pay the fee, you will have to apply for a new DBS certificate.
Please note, the Update Service does not keep a copy of your original certificate and only gives a brief overview of whether anything has changed. Therefore, the original certificate is still needed alongside the Update Service to show what information was included in the original check, e.g. all 5 fields were requested.
If you'd like to chat with a member of our Clinical Governance team about your documents, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you experience any technical issues or have questions, please contact the Customer Support team.
You can get in touch either by using the online chat in the bottom left-hand corner, or via email email@example.com
Article is closed for comments.