Babylon are an innovative health technology company providing digital GP consultations to patients both privately and through NHS services. Patients are usually able to access appointments within 2 hours, and appointments are booked in through our app.
GP sessions are a mix of both telephone and video consultation. They are performed through a specialist portal designed especially for digital consultations, and so working for Babylon is paper light with administration time kept to a minimum. The support team are easily accessible for advice through your session through our online chat via our portal.
There is a maximum working time of 8 hours per day for our service with a mandatory 1 hour break (unpaid) after 4 hours. When seeing patients from home we recommend a plain, well-lit background ensuring you are suitably dressed to see patients.
These are the documents required to be able to work a Babylon session:
- CV with all gaps verified
- DBS (enhanced, dated within last 3 years)
- Passport (right to work documents where necessary)
- Medical Indemnity (although for video consulting insurance will be provided by Babylon but we still require your documents for approval and governance purposes)
- Evidence of last appraisal (dated within last 12 months)
- Evidence of revalidation/when revalidation is due
- Safeguarding Children Level 3 (dated within last 3 years)
- Safeguarding Adults Level 2 (dated within last 3 years)
- 1 x written clinical references
- GP biography completed
- Photo uploaded to your profile (which will be displayed on your profile on the Babylon app)
- Scanned copy of your signature (required for electronic prescribing)
Private training requirements before you can book:
- You’re required to complete Babylon’s online training academy: 3 separate modules (approx 2-3 hours in total). This is for private patients only.
- You are then required to do a mock consultation with a Babylon trainer (approx. 30 mins).
**An NDA form needs to be completed, signed and sent back to Lantum before you can begin to commence the Babylon training (to protect their processes).**
If we haven't sent the NDA form to you, please request this from us as soon as possible.
Please note if you are interested in working NHS sessions with Babylon, you must show a commitment to working the private sessions before being able to complete the NHS training. The reason for this is that Babylon send NHS working GPs a laptop which is set up with SystmOne, so they want to ensure they are investing in GPs who are committed.
Your commitment will be reviewed after your first two weeks of working private sessions, Babylon have advised to qualify for the NHS sessions you need to be working 16 hours within your first 2 weeks.
- Will indemnity be provided? Yes, Babylon will provide indemnity cover for this work.
- How would it affect my NHS practice if I enrolled? This work will have no impact.
- Where would patients that I consult with be registered? These patients are private and NHS (depending on booked session type). The vast majority (99%+) of Babylon patients are from the UK although they do have a small amount of international patients who may use the service.
- Could this work could be done from outside of the UK? Unfortunately Babylon GPs are not currently able to consult outside of the UK and most be a registered GP in England.
- Is this NHS or private provision or both? Both, initially work will be private but you can apply to train for NHS sessions (see above). You will know whether the patients are NHS or private before you work the session.
- Is any hardware required/ what are the IT requirements? You will be using Babylon's online portal. A PC/laptop is required which is good enough to run Google Chrome with multiple tabs open comfortably. A webcam (built in or external) is necessary for video consultations and a headset/microphone may be preferable but is not essential. For NHS sessions will receive a Babylon Laptop in the post before your training which will be used to work Babylon sessions going forwards. A fast internet connection and a quiet, secure location with a plain background is also required for any sessions worked.
- How many sessions can I do each day? Due to the flexibility of the working hours, the sessions are posted in 1 hour slots, you can work 4 hours consecutively before you need to take a 1 hour break (all breaks unpaid).
- How long do I need to have been a GP for? 1 year minimum
- Do I need to be registered as a GP in England to work for Babylon? Yes, you will be required to have a DBS certificate relevant to England and be registered as a GP on the medical performers list for England.